November 09, 2013

Gnome Chomsky

Meta-costume for linguists:

I first saw it posted on a linguistic website (as a Halloween costume for linguists), but when I did a Google search I found that there's a whole universe of "Gnome Chomskys" out there (a word play on "Noam Chomsky," who -- besides being a "polictical commentator and activist" happens to be one of the most famous linguists ever -- yes, THE Noam Chomsky). There are even pictures of Noam Chomksky holding a Gnome Chomsky.


So, I'm a little behind in Gnomology. Just how far behind is something I realized yesterday when I was reading the business section of the NY Times. Katia Beauchamp, founder of the beauty subscription service Birchbox, revealed that
Every month, an employee wins the gnome that we named Chomsky, and employees submit a “gnomination” for who they think deserves it most. The winner gets to have Chomsky on their desk for a month and they get $1,000. We read to the entire team why they deserve the award, which is tied into our four leadership principles.
If people who sell lip gloss are more into this Chomsky gnome thing than linguists, well, that just makes you feel very out of it. 

No comments: