October 16, 2012

Binders full of women

Tonight's presidential debate -- supposed to be "a free-flowing question-and-answer session between the candidates and a studio audience at Hoftra University" -- as been called feisty, rancous, aggressive and tense. Any phrase from the debate that stands out? Well, there are Mitt Romney's "binders full of women." A touch ... objectifying, no?

From CNN
Did Mitt Romney really request that as governor of Massachusetts, he be brought "whole binders full of women?" It was his response to a question – on gender pay inequality - which turned heads and started fingers tapping on keyboards. Before the debate was over, there was a Twitter hashtag, a blog, a series of memes, and a Facebook page with over 100,000 fans. The phrase was the third-fastest rising search on Google during the debate.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the debate:
And important topic, and one which I learned a great deal about, particularly as I was serving as governor of my state, because I had the chance to pull together a cabinet and all the applicants seemed to be men. And I -- and I went to my staff, and I said, “How come all the people for these jobs are -- are all men.” They said, “Well, these are the people that have the qualifications.” And I said, “Well, gosh, can’t we -- can’t we find some -- some women that are also qualified?” ROMNEY: And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet. I went to a number of women’s groups and said, “Can you help us find folks,” and they brought us whole binders full of women.

No comments: