June 29, 2010

between you and I and Larry King

“I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end ‘Larry King Live,’ the nightly show, this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids’ little league games,” Mr. King wrote in the blog post.
What's stunning about this statement is not so much that Larry King will not renew his contract for his daily talk show on CNN, nor that he and his wife are bent on spending time together after filing for divorce earlier this year, rather, it is the fact that after several decades as a journalist (Wikipedia talks about more than 40,000 interviews) he still falls into the coordination trap.

Mr. King, between you and I: Prepositions are not followed by nominative case, period. It's "more time for my wife and me," not "my wife and I." Rule of thumb: For the second coordinate, use the same case as for the first. You wouldn't say "more time for I," and "for my wife and I" is not any different.


No comments: