December 06, 2007

push present?

In a more innocent age, new mothers generally considered their babies to be the greatest gift imaginable. Today, they are likely to want some sort of tangible bonus as well. This bonus goes by various names. Some call it the “baby mama gift.” Others refer to it as the “baby bauble.” But it’s most popularly known as the “push present."

That’s “push” as in, “I the mother, having been through the wringer and pushed out this blessed event, hereby claim my reward.” Or “push” as in, “I’ve delivered something special and now I’m pushing you, my husband/boyfriend, to follow suit.”

You just got to love the English language and the unabashed directness of its speakers when it comes to express the joy of materialism. (To add to the latter: When I looked up the article on the NYT website, there was a Tiffany ad next to it.) Because if not, you'll end up banging your head on the carpet, screaming "What's wrong with you people?"

No comments: