January 26, 2007

anniversary

Pedigree is doing it again. They have come out with another commercial that one just can't get out of one's mind. It shows adorable dogs with sad brown eyes behind a shelter's fence and it puts these words into their mouths:
I know how to sit, how to fetch, and how to roll over. What I don't know is how I ended up in here...
Il Snofo is a shelter dog. I adopted her exactly five years ago. She had spent more than a year in a shelter, and if it were not for the no-kill policy of the shelter, I would never have met her. Nobody wanted to adopt her because she was considered a difficult dog, not a people pleaser. For a start, she would't let anybody pet her (including me). What reason did she have to expect good things from humans? She was dumped as a puppy, abused as a family dog, taken back to the shelter by her owner, a woman beaten up by her husband. She also didn't look her best: She had been caged with another dog, who had bitten off the tip of one ear and of her tail. Her tail was never seen wagging.

And yet...

When I drove off with her in the car, I thought I might just have made one of the biggest mistakes in my life. What if I couldn't love this dog? What if she could not love me? After three days I knew that these questions would never have to be asked again.

Happy 5th anniversary!


If you're thinking of getting a dog, please consider adopting a dog from a shelter.

No comments: