November 18, 2006

lunking is bad for your gym membership

Do you know the word "lunk"? I didn't, and Merriam-Webster only had to offer lank, Lenk, link, and Lunt, so I turned to urbandictionary.com. From the various definitions given, I don't see a clear root meaning emerge, but note that all meanings have somewhat negative connotations.
"Is used to describe a person or object that represents low demeanor or value. It can also be used to describe an unidentifyable object. What the hell are you eating!? it looks like a Lunk or something!"

"To lay around in a energy-efficient (see lazy) state. I think I am going to lunk around the house today."

'The root word in the more commonly known term: Lunkhead. A word used to describe someone of low intelligence and usually of a portly stature. Can you believe that? That stupid lunk just cut me off!"
My prediction is that after today the popularity of the word lunk will increase immensely. It's linked to a front-page article in the New York Times. A man was thrown out of a gym because of lunking. So what happened?
Albert Argibay, a bodybuilder and a state correction officer, was at a Planet Fitness gym with 500 pounds of weight on his shoulders one afternoon this month when the club manager walked over and told him it was time to leave. Mr. Argibay, the manager explained, had violated one of the club’s most sacred and strictly enforced rules: He was grunting.

“I said to her, ‘I’m not grunting, I’m breathing heavy,’ ” recalled Mr. Argibay, 40, an energetic man with the hulking appearance of a pro linebacker. “I guess she didn’t like the fact that I challenged her, because she said to me, ‘Meet me up front; I’m canceling your membership.’ ” [...]

How does one distinguish between a grunt and a very deep breath? Must a grunt be “characteristic of a hog,” as one dictionary defines it? And what if there are no patrons around to take offense? [...]

At Planet Fitness gyms, grunters and other rule-breakers are treated to an ear-rattling siren with flashing blue lights and a public scolding. The “lunk alarm,” as the club calls it, is so jarring it can bring the entire floor to a standstill. (A lunk is defined, on a poster, as “one who grunts, drops weights, or judges.”)"
One who judges? Seems that the people at Planet Fitness should look up the meaning of Lunkhead.

No comments: