November 23, 2006

between you and me

Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo Samuel

-- that's the name of Heidi Klum's third child. Congratulations! I hope the boy will never have to embroider a Christmas stocking with all his names himself.
"He is healthy, beautiful and looks just like his mother," according to the post signed by Seal. In announcing the 8 lb. 11 oz. arrival, the new dad wrote, "To our children, a brother/ To our parents, a grandson/ To my wife and I, a son/ To our family, a blessing." [via people.com]
Very sweet.

The small print: The syntactician in my cringes at the use of "I" after a preposition. Transitive verbs and prepositions assign accusative case in English. It's "I went to church" or "Harry and I went to church" (subject position) and "Harry sent the letter to me" or "Harry sent the letter to Sally and me" (object of preposition), never "...to Sally and I". It doesn't matter whether or not there is a coordinator.

No comments: